Thursday, October 9, 2014

Praxis: Covering ALICE LBE snap links.

Throughout its history, when the US military issued load bearing equipment it was most often -- to the extent possible -- one size fits, and adjusts to, all. With the introduction of the ALICE gear above toward the end of the Vietnam War, the belts were issued in small, medium, large and extra large with all other components identical in size, but adjustable. The idea was to arrange your load using the snap links and ALICE clips. The problem was that leaving the hooks and clips exposed, they could snag on things and even come off. The ALICE clips were often replaced with paracord to hold items to the belt/harness, which was much quieter than the original. The links, which could not be replaced, were generally covered with black electrical tape or OD duct tape. As the following email from James, a faithful reader, observes, that was less than optimal.
Mike,
During my Infantry career, I struggled with the LBE snap hooks. Unit SOPs would have us tape them, or cover them with elastic bands, but those were not practical long-term solutions. The tape would get gummy and dirty, and the elastics would quit and crumble. Now that I have been retired for 9 years, I finally thought of the perfect solution.
2" long sections of 3/4" diameter heat shrink tubing. It takes a little effort to bunch the tube up enough to get it connected, but then when you get it straightened out and hit it with a heat gun or lighter, it tightens down, eliminating the possibility of coming unsnapped, or making anymore metal on metal jingle that makes us Infantrymen cringe. It also has the advantage of being a subdued black. Dirt and moisture will not have any detrimental effects, either.
I did a quick google search to see if this technique had been mentioned before, but I didn't see anything. Feel free to use this info however you wish. I just want to help my brothers in arms. I got the heat shrink tubing at Harbor Freight. It was a couple of bucks for a variety pack of sizes up to 1" diameter.
-- James.
This strikes me as an excellent fix, and I'm going to suggest it to any newbies I issue the ALICE gear (that I've picked up for cheap over the years) to.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey that is a good idea. I like to use a pistol belt/suspenders combo to conveniently carry a canteen of water while hiking. Of course that doubles as practice for schlepping with lightweight/fast moving equipment (in case i need to "move fast").

Anonymous said...

cut my snap links off and used 550 cord.

Anonymous said...

Well, dang.

Shoulda been obvious.

Wasn't.

Gunny G said...

OUTSTANDING! Thx.

Anonymous said...

Mike, if I had known this trick, I would have included some of it with the Alice gear from last year's Knob Creek meet. This group sure comes thru with really good ideas. Still waiting for more Absolved.

Anonymous said...

Same here. In the 82nd (in 88ish) it was all the range to replace the hooks with 550 cord until the fad of the Butt Ruck happened.

Anonymous said...

While effective short term, most commercially available shrink tubing becomes hard and will eventually split. Especially in freezing temps.
I have ONE tube (1-inch) that is more rubberized than the rest of my stash. This stuff stays flexible, and holds up to NY winters just fine. (Its on my trailer chains)
Unfortunately, there's NO brand name on the tube.
If you find a place that has the 36-inch lengths of tubing, look for the ones that most resemble a bicycle tire inner-tube in its flexibility.
Good Luck Lads-
Paddy

Anonymous said...

This is a excellent Cure for Battle Rattle!!

AJ said...

3M brand makes the best polyolefin shrink tubing on the market. Stay away from the Chinese stuff at Harbor Freight.