Friday, November 7, 2014

Praxis: The Zippo lighter as a survival tool.

I've been doing a lot of cleaning up lately and one of the various accumulations of miscellaneous stuff I discovered (scattered all over the place) were a number of Zippo lighters. Back thirty years ago when I was smoking three packs of Camel straights a day, I picked up a number of Zippos. Whenever one would run out of flints, or have a wick that got frayed, I was more likely than not to just throw the old one in a drawer and get another. Consequently, I ended up over the years with a dozen or so Zippos which I have recently rediscovered.
As I unearthed them, I have been rehabbing them with new flints and wicks. I always liked the fact that they could burn just about any fuel. (See discussion here on the Zippo as a survival tool.) Of course it doesn't take much money to accumulate the support items to keep your Zippo functioning. The above referenced article says that:
Based on the compiled data from the SSRSI.ORG site a Zippo user would need 12oz of Zippo lighter fluid, two packages of flints, and two wicks per year to run in factory spec state. It is common practice to stash a couple wicks and extra flints under the felt and 6 month supply of one wick and six flints can easily fit under the felt and batting for the time you need it.
The lighter fluid and the flints are available at Walmart (in packages of 6), but for the wicks I had to go to a local tobacco shop, where they are not exactly cheap. Still I have fixed the lighters up with new components, stocked back some containers of fluid and put them all up in a plastic bucket for if, as and when.
I found a couple with bigger problems, one of which was a Vietnam-era lighter given to me by a buddy that is missing its top. Zippo will repair these free of charge. I'll send them off to Zippo after I get back from CT. IF I get back from CT. ;-)

10 comments:

Swami Rabbitima said...

If you don't want to deal with the felt-using insert, you can buy butane inserts for flip-top lighters on Amazon.

Martyn77 said...

Zippo sells Zippo branded wicks, flints and lighter fluid through their many types of distributors.

Anonymous said...

Mike,
Zippo makes an emergency fire starter using the flint and striker wheel in an orange case that also holds fire starter wicks. Follow the link. These work very well and you don't have to worry about not having the flammable lighter fluid. I have one and they work to start a fire outside very well.

http://www.zippo.com/product.aspx?id=1025615

Gunship Cowboy.

Anonymous said...

I don't smoke, but I've carried one for years. It's amusing to go camping with a group and watch the glamour campers drag out their butane powered sooper dooper double whammy whizbang lighters that often won't work in the wind. When asked why they don't use a Zippo instead, they complain about the fluid leaking out.
Never had a problem with that, personally.
By the way-hope you're well.

Joel said...

I've always been torn between Zippos and Bic lighters in terms of cost/benefit. The advantage of Zippos is mostly their excellent wind resistance, with their ability to keep burning without your thumb on a button coming in a distant second. The disadvantage is their need for constant supply and maintenance. When I smoked cigarettes, resupplying the Zippo was a regular chore and so posed no problem. Now that I no longer smoke, the Zippo doesn't get as much attention and so never works when needed.

A Bic lighter's low price, coupled with its complete lack of maintenance requirement, makes it practical to just stash one everywhere and there they are when I need them.

I possess a Zippo - in fact I'm looking at it right now. I also have fuel and flints. But it's relegated to third-tier status and will likely remain so.

In postscript: I heat with wood and need to light my propane stove every time I want to cook something, and don't use either lighter for either of those chores. Dollar-store kitchen matches work better for those things, and I keep four spare boxes of those.

Loren said...

It's less of an issue with the newer butane lighter designs that are wind proof, but zippos still have some advantages:
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/country-living-forums/shop-talk/417769-grill-lighter-actually-unsafe-acetylene-torch.html

Anonymous said...

(Can't post via Google, new Firefox Ver. is FUBAR)

prambo here-

This caused me to break out my 45+ year old Zippo. Still the best there is, although the hinge is a little loose after lighting uncountable tobacco products.

Has a nice slip on floral decorative cover I got in Danang in '72, made by locals from old artie shells.

Butane is nice, but I'll bet the Zippo will work with a variety of alternative fuels in a pinch.

Hope you're well Mike.

Informed42 said...

Here you go, Mike. I contacted Zippo a while back because I have a few of them too. Here's the reply and info received.

We have received your e-mail inquiry and wish to advise that, you may send your Zippo lighters to us for repair at no charge. When sending, please follow the repair instructions listed below:



Allow the fuel to evaporate from your inside lighting mechanisms for 2-3 days before sending
Enclose a note with your name, complete street address, and telephone number
For an acknowledgement of receipt of your products, please be sure to provide your email address
Package your products securely (a sturdy box or padded envelope are recommended)
Insure your package against loss in transit
If your lighters have a special design or sentimental value and you do not want them replaced, please include a note
Approximate time for repair/return is four weeks
Send your Zippo products via a traceable method to:


Zippo Repair Clinic

1932 Zippo Drive

Bradford, PA 16701



Upon receipt, your lighters are inspected, the hinges of the lighter cases are repaired, if necessary, and the inside lighting mechanisms are replaced with a new one, provided we receive the original lighting mechanism. Both the repaired lighter and original lighting mechanism will be returned to you at no charge. The finish, however, is not guaranteed.



We trust the above information is helpful.



Sincerely,



Anne



Anne Baney | Zippo Manufacturing Company | Consumer Relations Department | 33 Barbour Street, Bradford, Pennsylvania 16701| p: 814-368-2727 | f: 814-363-2527| e: abaney@zippo.com



No matter how many you send them, they won't charge you or even let you pay them for the postage for shipping and handling, because I wanted to at least do that. They said, NO.

Unknown said...

I thought zippos might be an excellent emergency Fire-source. I found them to be leaky, they dry out if you put them in storage for a few weeks, and even the zippo brand fuel bottle leaked out.

No thanks. I'm not too crazy about modern bic lighters,
But I'd rather stash a few of those, for emergencies.

Nyttigbras said...

Zippo lighters are simply the best.
Specially I love the Zippo Blu2 Gas lighter, that delivers a rock solid flame and uses very little gas/butane.

That's an innovation Zippo can be very proud of - The Modern Zippo Storm Lighter

Easy to maintain and extremely reliable